The SANDAG Bike Parking Program is a service operated by Sustainable Transportation Services, the Transportation Demand Management division of SANDAG. The program provides secure bike parking for commuters at select transit stations throughout the region.
The program offers two types of bike parking: electronic lockers, and group bike parking facilities. Bike parking provided by the program is intended for use on a regular basis.
The SANDAG Bike Parking Program (PROGRAM) guidelines described below shall be valid within the Participation Agreement (AGREEMENT) and applicable to all other sections of this AGREEMENT.
By entering into this AGREEMENT with SANDAG, you, the program user (USER), agree to comply with the following PROGRAM guidelines.
The USER understands to join the PROGRAM, the USER must complete and submit the online enrollment form. The USER will receive approval from the Sustainable Transportation Team once their submission details are reviewed and if there is availability at the chosen location. SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to participate in Sustainable Transportation programs. If you do not have internet access and would like to sign up for the PROGRAM, please call 619.710.4089.
The USER agrees to maintain enrollment in the PROGRAM throughout the term of this AGREEMENT by:
- Using the bike parking space at least once per week.
- Storing permitted items only. For the purpose of this AGREEMENT, permitted items are personal bikes and scooters, helmets, air pumps, and water bottles. Bikes must have two wheels and be no larger than a standard adult size. Bikes and scooters are permitted to have battery-powered assist; however, a bike or scooter utilizing any form of combustion power is prohibited. Shareable bikes, scooters, and motorcycles of any type are not permitted in lockers or group bike parking facilities. Any other items are considered prohibited and will result in the termination of this AGREEMENT.
- When using an electronic locker, a bike or scooter must be present in order to start a rental. If it is determined that an electronic locker has a rental in progress without a bike or scooter, the rental will be terminated and this AGREEMENT may be terminated.
- Completing annual re-enrollment by accepting the AGREEMENT and confirming USER information or updating information, if outdated.
- Completing surveys and responding to SANDAG emails when requested.
If the USER is approved access to electronic bike locker spaces or group bike parking facilities, the USER shall use the provided BikeLink card to access undedicated, on-demand bike parking for the storage of permitted items. BikeLink is operated by eLock Technologies, the SANDAG electronic bike parking vendor.
The USER understands that only BikeLink cards issued by SANDAG will operate SANDAG-owned electronic bike lockers and group bike parking facilities. The USER understands that BikeLink cards purchased directly from BikeLink will NOT operate SANDAG-owned electronic bike lockers or group bike parking facilities. SANDAG is not responsible for BikeLink cards purchased or otherwise obtained from a source other than SANDAG.
The USER understands that by using a BikeLink card, they also are agreeing to the BikeLink System User Agreement, available at BikeLink.org. In the event of any conflict between the SANDAG Bike Parking Program Participation Guidelines and Agreement and the BikeLink System User Agreement, this AGREEMENT will govern.
The USER understands and agrees that electronic bike parking spaces are made available by SANDAG to the USER on a first-come, first-served basis. The USER understands that they may not have access to the same space each day and that the USER may not always find an available space. SANDAG makes no expressed or implied guarantees that an electronic bike parking space will always be available for the USER.
The USER understands that the electronic locker operates in the following modes:
- Locked: In this mode, the locker door is closed, locked, and available for use. The door can be opened by any user with an activated BikeLink card.
- Secured: In this mode, the locker door is locked and can only be reopened by the USER who placed the locker into the secured mode.
- Open: In this mode, the locker door is open. Once the door is closed, it enters into either the locked or secured mode.
- Expired: In this mode, the rental duration has exceeded four days. Only the USER who initiated the rental can access the expired locker. This is an indication to end the rental, as the lockers are not intended for long-term storage.
- Abandoned: In this mode, the rental duration has been in an expired state for more than 10 days. Other USERs cannot access the abandoned locker; only the USER who initiated the rental, SANDAG, or eLock Technologies can access the locker. When a rental reaches an abandoned state, SANDAG or eLock Technologies has the right to terminate the USER’s AGREEMENT due to improper use and remove and dispose of the property if contents are not retrieved within 48 hours of the termination email.
Group Bike Parking Facilities
The USER understands and agrees that when accessing a group bike parking facility for the first time, the USER must complete an ID check verification at the entry kiosk, as explained in the BikeLink Bike Station Access instructions. The USER understands that they must check in and out of the bike station. When entering the bike station, the USER cannot allow anyone to enter behind them. There is a 10-minute limit inside the bike station. The USER understands that if they exit the station past the allowed 10 minutes, an alarm will alert BikeLink staff to inspect the bike station.
The USER understands that they may only store their items in a Group Parking Facility for a maximum duration of 10 days.
The USER shall use the facility for the storage of one personal bike or scooter and one helmet for the primary purpose of commuting to and from work or school. The USER shall secure the bike or scooter to an available rack with a separate, personal lock; however, this is optional and the USER will otherwise park their unsecured bike or scooter within the facility at their own risk. Approved USERs may utilize bike amenities provided inside select facilities, including bike pumps and repair workstations.
The USER understands and agrees that the group bike parking facility is made available by SANDAG to the USER on a first-come, first-served basis. The USER understands and agrees that other bike commuters also will have access to the group bike parking facility, and therefore the USER may not always find an available rack.
If the USER is approved to join the PROGRAM, SANDAG will grant secure bike parking access for a term of one year. The USER hereby agrees to pay a one-time security deposit of $25 for bike parking access upon joining the PROGRAM. The $25 security deposit shall be in the form of a check or money order ONLY, payable to SANDAG. Deposits will be accepted through U.S. mail, addressed to:
Attn: Bike Parking Program
1129 La Media Road,
San Diego, CA 92154
A BikeLink card will be mailed to the USER after SANDAG receives the deposit. Electronic lockers, group bike parking facilities, and BikeLink cards will remain the property of SANDAG at all times. The USER agrees not to release the BikeLink card to unauthorized persons or use it in a manner other than that for which it was issued. The USER further agrees not to duplicate the BikeLink card.
Waiver of Responsibility
The USER understands that SANDAG cannot guarantee the security of a bike, its components, and its accessories stored in a bike locker or group bike parking facility at any location. Although bike lockers offer some measure of protection from the elements, bikes, their components, and their accessories may still get wet, dirty, or otherwise be subject to the forces of nature.
Additionally, the USER understands that bikes, their components, and their accessories stored in bike lockers or group bike parking facilities may be stolen or damaged by third parties. The USER agrees to hold harmless SANDAG; eLock Technologies; Metropolitan Transit System; San Diego Trolley, Inc.; Caltrans; North County Transit District; San Diego County Regional Airport Authority; and all related agency directors, officers, representatives, agents, and employees from any liability for injuries, loss, or damage in connection with the use of a provided bike parking space, except to the extent that such liability arises from the sole negligence or willful misconduct of any such party.
Customer Service and Program Support
For questions, concerns, or comments regarding the PROGRAM administration, the USER is encouraged to contact STS by calling 619.710.4089 or by emailing SustainableTransportation@sandag.org. SANDAG offices are open Tuesday through Friday and every other Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In-person assistance is not available.
If the USER experiences any issues with an electronic locker space, the group bike parking facilities, or an assigned BikeLink card, the USER can call the BikeLink 24-hour support line at (888) 540-0546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost or Damaged BikeLink Cards
The USER agrees to take full responsibility for loss or damage to their assigned BikeLink card during the time it is in the USER’s possession. Damaged BikeLink cards shall be returned to SANDAG in order to obtain a replacement for a fee of $25. Lost BikeLink cards must be reported to SANDAG within five business days. Lost or damaged BikeLink cards will not be replaced until SANDAG receives the replacement fee of $25 in the form of check or money order. Lost or damaged BikeLink cards may only be replaced two times per term. USERS who request a third key replacement within the same term will be terminated from the PROGRAM.
SANDAG will mail keys and BikeLink cards to the USER’s address on file. SANDAG is not responsible for keys or BikeLink cards that do not reach their destination. USER will be required to pay for a replacement.
Changes to USER Information
The USER must notify SANDAG when their contact information changes. All changes must be reported within five business days by calling 619.710.4089 or by emailing SustainableTransportation@sandag.org.
Failure to provide updated contact information to SANDAG in a timely manner constitutes a violation of this AGREEMENT and may result in termination at the sole discretion of SANDAG.
Participation Agreement Annual Renewal
USERS are required to renew their participation in the PROGRAM annually. Thirty days prior to the end of the annual agreement term, SANDAG will begin sending participation renewal notices to the USER’s email address on file. To remain in the PROGRAM, the USER is required to update their contact information as necessary and agree to the terms of this AGREEMENT.
It is within the discretion of SANDAG to terminate this AGREEMENT at any time for any purpose, including violation of this AGREEMENT. If the USER has been terminated, SANDAG will provide the USER with a notice via the USER's email address and a phone call. The USER must remove all contents from the bike locker or group bike parking facility within 48 hours of the termination email being sent and return the assigned BikeLink card to SANDAG via U.S. mail within ten business days. If contents are not retrieved within 48 hours of the termination email being sent, SANDAG or eLock Technologies will remove and dispose of the property.
Deposit Refund for Bike Parking
If this AGREEMENT has been terminated, or the USER no longer wishes to participate in the PROGRAM, the USER shall return the BikeLink card in its original condition within 10 business days to SANDAG by mailing the BikeLink card, along with a letter stating the USER’s current mailing address, to:
Attn: Bike Parking Program
1129 La Media Road
San Diego, CA 92154
If the BikeLink card is returned as required by this AGREEMENT, SANDAG will refund the USER the entire amount of the security deposit within 30 days of receipt. SANDAG is not liable for BikeLink cards lost or damaged in shipment back to SANDAG. It is recommended that the USER sends the BikeLink card to the SANDAG address above in a padded envelope and requests a delivery confirmation from the shipper.
If SANDAG does not receive the BikeLink card within 10 business days of termination of this AGREEMENT, the USER forfeits the right to the entire amount of the security deposit.
Bike Parking Maintenance
The USER agrees that SANDAG or eLock Technologies reserve the right to inspect the USER’s bike parking space and/or the group bike parking facility and move contents for the purpose of performing preventative maintenance. Further, SANDAG reserves the right to remove or replace lockers as needed for maintenance or other purposes. Should these circumstances arise, SANDAG will notify the USER as soon as possible.
Compliance with Laws and Regulations
The USER agrees to comply with all laws, rules, regulations, and any special instructions that may be issued by SANDAG, its agents, or law enforcement concerning bike parking. The USER will not maintain or store non-permitted items, goods, or materials that may be dangerous to life, limb, or property, or use the bike parking space in such a way as to create a nuisance or disturbance. The USER agrees that SANDAG, eLock Technologies, or any law enforcement agency reserve the right to inspect the USER’s bike parking space and remove contents for the purpose of ensuring compliance with this AGREEMENT.
No Assignments by User
The USER shall not assign or transfer this AGREEMENT or any interest therein.
The remedies provided herein are in addition to and are not in lieu of any other rights which SANDAG may have against the USER. In any action or proceeding for the enforcement of this AGREEMENT or the collection of any sums which may be due and payable by the USER to SANDAG, the USER agrees to pay SANDAG, in addition to any balance due, expenses, and reasonable attorney’s fees incurred by SANDAG.
Amendment for Convenience
SANDAG may amend the language of this AGREEMENT at any time. The amended AGREEMENT shall be posted to the SANDAG website. By continuing use of the PROGRAM facilities, the USER acknowledges and agrees to abide by the terms of the AGREEMENT and any subsequent updates or amendments.
This AGREEMENT shall be effective as of the date the USER joins the PROGRAM and receives the BikeLink card and shall continue in full force until one of the parties terminates this AGREEMENT by providing written notice. By participating in the PROGRAM and signing this AGREEMENT, each USER acknowledges and agrees to abide by these PROGRAM guidelines as provided above and any subsequent updates or amendments.
Submit the online enrollment form to initiate this AGREEMENT.
By entering this AGREEMENT, you:
- Acknowledge that inappropriate use of the bike locker or group bike parking facilities will require that you reimburse all expenses incurred to SANDAG. Inappropriate use of bike parking includes, but is not limited to, any use other than storing permitted items.
- Recognize that participation in the PROGRAM is strictly voluntary.
- Acknowledge that SANDAG, eLock Technologies, or any law enforcement agency will access the lockers and group bike parking facility and may move items on occasion for the purpose of ensuring compliance with this AGREEMENT and to perform preventative maintenance.
- Acknowledge that you have read the foregoing AGREEMENT and have been fully advised of the potential risks incidental to engaging in the PROGRAM. you further understand and acknowledge that the PROGRAM may be changed or canceled at any time, without obligation, at the sole discretion of SANDAG.
- Acknowledge that SANDAG reserves the right to terminate the AGREEMENT with a USER and revoke access to electronic bike lockers, and group bike parking facilities at any time.
- Acknowledge that when using an electronic bike locker, personal information and usage activity is available to SANDAG and eLock Technologies via BikeLink.org.