The State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) is a five-year investment plan for state transportation money and is updated every two years. Capital highway, local road, transit, and active transportation projects that our region plans to fund may be included in the STIP to receive state funding. Our most recent STIP was adopted in March 2022 and our current proposed 2024 STIP is expected to be adopted in March 2024 by the California Transportation Commission (CTC).
Like other agencies across the state, the regional spending plan developed by SANDAG accounts for 75% of the STIP. The remaining 25% of the STIP is a statewide spending plan known as the Interregional Transportation Improvement Program (ITIP). Caltrans develops the ITIP to fund projects that connect metro areas and improve mobility across regional boundaries.
SANDAG, in cooperation with Caltrans, continues to seek opportunities to improve interregional connections between San Diego County and Orange County on the I-5 Corridor, Riverside County on the I-15 corridor, Imperial County on the I-8 corridor, and on the critical freight and passenger LOSSAN rail corridor.
The San Diego region’s STIP is a subset of projects in the Regional Plan, which guides our regional transportation investments for the next 20 years. The latest Regional Plan was adopted by the SANDAG Board in October 2023.
The Board of Directors approved projects for proposed programming in the 2024 STIP RTIP at its meeting on October 27, 2023. The California Transportation Commission is expected to adopt the 2024 STIP in March 2024.