Criminal Justice Research & Clearinghouse
The SANDAG Regional Criminal Justice Research & Clearinghouse Division assesses the effectiveness and efficiency of crime control programs to inform local criminal justice planning and policymaking. By seeking and securing research funds from state and federal sources, SANDAG analyzes crime patterns, crime-reduction strategies, and responses to the region’s crime.
As a key resource for local communities, SANDAG provides the following services through the criminal justice clearinghouse:
- Publishing crime and arrest reports
- Sharing resources and information
- Conducting quality assurance studies of crime-related data
- Analyzing offender drug use
- Assessing the impact of crime reduction strategies
- Providing long-term evaluations of criminal justice related policies and programs
- Assisting agencies in grant writing to seek state and federal funding
The criminal justice clearinghouse databases are continually updated to maintain information on various justice issues. This includes monthly compiling, analyzing, and quality controlling on data from more than 20 public safety agencies.
Criminal Justice Bulletins
Criminal Justice (CJ) Bulletins provide annual information on arrests, crime, and arrestee drug use.
- Forty-two Years of Crime in the San Diego Region: 1980 Through 2021
- 2021 Juvenile Arrestee Drug Use in the San Diego Region
- 2021 Adult Arrestee Drug Use in the San Diego Region
Criminal Justice Flash Findings: 2022
Flash Findings provide brief reports on current projects and topics of interest to criminal justice agencies, school administrators, public officials, city and county administrators, social service and health agencies, and the public.
- Volume 24 Issue 7 (December 2022) Marijuana Use Among San Diego Arrestees – Five Years of Data Post-Proposition 64
- Volume 24 Issue 6 (November 2022): San Diego Crime Victims and Suspects 2021
- Volume 24 Issue 5 (October 2022): Changes In Marijuana And Vaping Habits Among Youth
- Volume 24 Issue 4 (October 2022): More Violent Crimes Reported in First Half of 2022, Compared to Past Ten Years: Summary Statistics from the Mid-Year Crime Report
- Volume 24 Issue 3 (July 2022): Drug Overdoses, Fentanyl, and Naloxone Use Among the 2021 Adult SAM Sample
- Volume 24 Issue 2 (July 2022): Adults Booked into Local Jails in 2021: Comparisons from the SAM Data
- Volume 24 Issue 1 (May 2022): Crime in the San Diego Region