As our cities and roadway networks have grown, our transit system has struggled to keep pace. Transit Leap is SANDAG’s vision of a faster, more reliable transit system for the San Diego region. Many of our projects work together to bring this vision to life—from improving existing services like Trolley, COASTER, SPRINTER, and Rapid, to filling gaps in the transit network with on-demand services like micro-transit and micro-mobility options.
Transit Leap will help our communities by offering:
- New high-speed transit lines to connect people with their workplace, healthcare facilities, shopping centers, and several other destinations.
- More frequent service that starts earlier and runs later.
- A variety of vehicle types and services with closely timed connections to accommodate every type of trip.
- Improvements like dedicated lanes, signal priority, minimal transfers, faster transfer times, and grade-separated routes using bridges and tunnels to make service more efficient and reliable.
- Alternative fuel and electric vehicles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality.
Although Transit Leap is a long-term vision that will take decades to fully put in place, we are already starting to strengthen the regional transit network with our innovative mobility projects. Initiatives like mobility hubs, flexible fleets, and clean transportation are already starting, with more to come in the future.