Specialized Transportation Grant Program
The SANDAG Specialized Transportation Grant Program (STGP) funds projects and programs that expand mobility for older adults and people with disabilities. Eligible projects include the purchase of accessible vans and buses, coordinated volunteer driver programs, shopping shuttle services, non-emergency medical trips, and transit travel training classes.
Approximately every two years, SANDAG conducts a competitive process to award funding through the STGP. Funding for the STGP comes from two sources: the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 program and the TransNet Senior Mini-Grant Program. Since 2006, we’ve awarded more than $26 million in federal grant funds and $21 million in TransNet funds that have supported more than 275 specialized transportation grant-funded projects.
Cycle 12 Call for Projects
The STGP Cycle 12 Call for Projects includes approximately $7.9 million available for eligible specialized transportation projects. The Call for Projects was open for a 90-day period from July 6, 2022, through October 5, 2022.
- November 2022 - January 2023: Applications are evaluated, and funding recommendations are developed
- February 2023: Funding recommendations are presented to the TransNet Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee, Transportation Committee, and Board of Directors
- May 2023: Cycle 12 Successful Applicant Webinar (date to be determined)
- July 1, 2023: Execution of grant agreements issued for successful Senior Mini-Grant applicants
- October 1, 2023: Execution of grant agreements issued for successful Section 5310 applicants