Parking often influences how we choose to get around our community. An oversupply of free or underpriced parking can hinder smart growth, make housing less affordable, and increase traffic.
It is a delicate balance to ensure parking is available, without having so much available that it causes these unintended consequences. San Diego Forward: The 2021 Regional Plan will include an updated Regional Parking Management Toolbox to help all 18 cities and the County manage parking so that it benefits the economy, as well as our overall transportation system.
Elements of the Regional Parking Management Toolbox include:
- Menu of parking strategies and technologies
- Identification of specific strategies and technologies for different community settings and uses
- Financial and staffing resources needed to manage parking effectively
- Best practices for public outreach, education, and marketing
- Case studies and lessons learned