01-19-2022 | News Release
SANDAG Hits The Ground Running in 2022
With historic levels of state and federal infrastructure investments expected this year, SANDAG is positioned to deliver key projects and programs for the San Diego region in the coming months.
“SANDAG is ready to hit the ground running in 2022,” said SANDAG CEO Hasan Ikhrata. “We are working hard to deliver a transformational transportation future for the San Diego region and look forward to partnering with the community every step of the way.”
As a regional leader, SANDAG is connecting people and resources in the San Diego region through data-driven planning, building, and funding.
“The good news is that everything we are doing is directly in line with the latest state and federal funding proposals,” said Ikhrata. “We are leading the way here in the San Diego region and have many milestones to look forward to this year. I am proud of what we have been able to accomplish and even more excited for what’s to come.”
Last Friday, CEO Ikhrata provided an overview to the SANDAG Board of Directors on recent agency accomplishments and upcoming milestones in 2022, including:
• Otay Mesa East Port of Entry: Breaking ground on a modern border crossing for the San Diego-Baja California region.
• Del Mar Bluffs Stabilization/LOSSAN: Moving forward on the final phase of stabilization and identifying the funding to move the LOSSAN rail corridor off the bluffs.
• Central Mobility Hub and Connections to San Diego International Airport: Advancing the environmental review process to determine a future location for the multimodal transportation center with direct transit connections.
• Transit Equity: Launching one-year of free transit fares for youth 18 and younger, new service improvements, and studying free transit for all.
• Purple Line and Blue Line Express Trolley: Moving forward on the future Purple Line service from South Bay to Sorrento and express Blue Line service.
• Digital Equity Strategy and Action Plan: Launching a regionwide campaign to improve access to high-speed internet.
• Active Transportation and Safe Streets: Opening 11 miles of new bikeways, breaking ground on more than 19 miles, and advancing a new regional active transportation plan.
• Housing Acceleration Program: Providing $6 million to accelerate housing production regionwide.
These major initiatives build on accomplishments from an eventful 2021. Look back at the most impactful highlights across the San Diego region in SANDAG’s 2021 Annual Report.
For media inquiries, please contact Stacy Garcia at 619.699.1950 or PIO@sandag.org