04.21.2021 | News Release
Traditionally, SANDAG hosts an annual Bike to Work Day event in May for commuters. In light of the ongoing pandemic, this year’s event encourages people to bike anywhere. GO by BIKE to work, school, the beach, the store, or just around the neighborhood.
“Bike to Work Day has been reimagined during the pandemic with self-guided and virtual options, encouraging San Diegans to go outside to enjoy the longer days and warm weather,” said SANDAG Chair and Encinitas Mayor Catherine Blakespear. “This event is a great reminder that biking not just a way to exercise, but is a real viable transportation choice to go anywhere.”
Participants will join a variety of self-guided activities, including REI Bike Anywhere Bingo and self-guided bike tours to help people explore neighborhoods and bike paths throughout the region.
Organized virtual activities on Zoom and YouTube include:
May 16: Virtual Bike Yoga Class
May 17: Virtual Bike Safety Quick Check (in English and Spanish)
May 19: Virtual Bike Commuting 101 class
May 20: SANDAG Regional Bike Network Updates webinar
May 22: Virtual Bike Commuting 202 class
Participants will enter contests to win prizes* from SANDAG and its partners, including:
• Pledge to GO by BIKE to pick up a free t-shirt
• Pledge by April 30 to enter to win a new bike
• Share a selfie in your Bike Anywhere t-shirt for a chance to win a spot in the Pedal Ahead SD program. This includes a free e-bike for two years
• Log bike trips via the Love to Ride website for more chances to win prizes, including a new bike
• Complete the REI Bike Anywhere Bingo for a chance to win a new bike
*Participants must be 18 years of age or older to be eligible for a free t-shirt and prizes.
For media inquiries, please contact Stacy Garcia at 619.699.1950 or PIO@sandag.org