Youth Opportunity Pass
- Download the free PRONTO app and create an account. Go to the “Manage” tab to find your card account number
- If you don’t have a smartphone, you can buy a physical PRONTO card for $2 at any retail location they are sold
- Then fill out the online form to convert your account from Adult to Youth. Your Youth account will be active within one business day
- Rides will not be free unless your PRONTO account is converted to youth
- Please note: Children five and under ride MTS and NCTD free at all times, and do not need a PRONTO card or app account
- Use the 'Next Departure' and 'Trip Planner' tools in the PRONTO app to plan your trip and learn when buses near you are coming. We also recommend Google Maps or the OneBusAway app to help plan your trip on your smartphone to plan your trip
- You can also visit MTS and NCTD to build your route and find the closest transit station
- Plan to arrive at the transit station/stop a few minutes before the listed time on the schedule
- Remember to scan your app or tap your card every time you ride, including transfers
- Don’t forget to ride with proof of your age. This can be a current year school picture ID; a government photo ID with your birthday (i.e., driver’s license or real ID), or birth certificate
SANDAG has teamed up with MTS, NCTD, and the County of San Diego to connect young people to more opportunities through these free transit passes. The Youth Opportunity Pass is funded by SANDAG as part of its Transit Equity Pilot, a program to make transit more accessible for everyone.
If you have any questions about this program, please email us at YouthOpportunityPass@sandag.org.