SANDAG took action on Wednesday, October 4, 2023 for California Clean Air Day!
Clean Air Day is built on the idea that shared experiences unite people to take action and create new habits to improve air quality. Across the state, people pledge each year to commute by carpool, vanpool, transit, biking, or walking on the first Wednesday in October.
Whether you walk, bike, or ride transit, you help make a difference in our region’s air quality. Here’s how people in the San Diego region took action for Clean Air Day in 2023:
- Transit ridership increased 10% thanks to MTS and NCTD for Free Ride Day.
- Neighborhood electric vehicle ridership increased 21% across six neighborhoods compared to the average Wednesday.
- Nearly 700 Bird scooter rides covered nearly 1,000 miles.
Why Pledge to Clean the Air? San Diego deserves better!
- San Diegans travel more vehicle miles annually per commuter than the state average and other major urban counties.
- The San Diego region ranks 8th worst in the nation for ozone pollution.
- 9 out of 10 Californians live with polluted air.