01.11.2024 | News Release
SANDAG Launches Nationwide Search for Next Chief Executive Officer
Applications Accepted Through February 23, 2024
The SANDAG Board of Directors has launched a nationwide search for a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO); applications are being accepted through Friday, February 23.
The ideal candidate should have a strong background in leadership as well as transportation and regional planning, capital development, and operations. Some of the characteristics listed in the CEO recruitment brochure include:
- An individual who values unity among Board members and possesses the political acumen to build bridges and consensus around the complex, and often politically sensitive, diverse transportation issues experienced by all segments of the region’s population
- An individual who exhibits a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and can demonstrate efforts around DEI in previous roles
- An individual who embraces the clear delineation between the role of the CEO and the role of the Board of Directors
- An individual with credibility, integrity, and the ability to build trust
- A visionary with knowledge of regional planning and sustainable multimodal transportation systems who will support climate planning efforts throughout the region
- A strong mentor and leader for employees, with the ability to hire and retain exceptional talent, and who encourages professional development, transparent communication, and team-building
The SANDAG CEO will be responsible for leading approximately 400 employees, will oversee a $1.2 billion annual budget, and will report directly to the Board of Directors, which is made up of elected mayors, councilmembers, and county supervisors who are appointed from each of the region’s 19 local governments.