Comprehensive Land Use and Regional Growth Projects
Smart Growth Concept Map
In 2004, SANDAG adopted the Regional Comprehensive Plan (RCP) for the San Diego region. The RCP, which was incorporated into San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan, provides a vision for the region based on smart growth and sustainability. A key implementation action of the RCP was the development of a Smart Growth Concept Map (SGCM) illustrating the location of existing, planned, and potential smart growth areas.
Since SANDAG accepted the first SGCM in 2006, regular updates have been conducted. The most recent technical update of the concept map was completed in May 2016. The map contains more than 200 locations in seven smart growth categories identified in the RCP. The seven smart growth “place types” include: the Metropolitan Center, Urban Centers, Town Centers, Community Centers, Rural Villages, Mixed Use Transit Corridors, and Special Use Centers, reflecting the notion that smart growth is not a “one-size-fits-all” endeavor. The Smart Growth in the San Diego Region brochure provides descriptions of these areas. View more details about the map.
Visual simulations of smart growth are available and illustrate how communities could be transformed by smart growth development and transit-friendly designs.
Regional Scale Map - May 2016
Subregional Scale Maps, Corresponding Site Descriptions, and Listing of Smart Growth Areas - May 2016
Carolina Ilic , Senior Regional Planner
Phone: (619) 699-1989, Email: email@example.com
For media inquiries, please contact David Hicks at (619) 699-6939 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Board of Directors Report - January 27, 2012 [PDF, 10136 KB]
- Board of Directors Report - July 25, 2008 [PDF, 460 KB]
- Board of Directors Report - June 23, 2006 [PDF, 80 KB]
- Board of Directors Report - October 27, 2006 [PDF, 266 KB]
- Board of Directors Report - October 24, 2014 [PDF, 8354 KB]
- Regional Planning Techinical Working Group/Cities County Transportation Advisory Committee Report - May 5, 2016 [PDF, 89 KB]