Digital Data Analyst
Analyst I - $44,837 to $71,739 per year;
Analyst II - $49,432 to $79,092 per year;
Associate - $54,499 to $87,199 per year
Close Date: Open Until Filled
* This is a Limited Term SANDAG position. Limited Term Employees receive many of the benefits of a regular SANDAG staff position but are at-will employees.
Details about SANDAG's Employment Application and Supplemental Questions required for this position can be found below.
The SANDAG Research Program
Many of the studies, reports, plans, and policy decisions made at SANDAG rely on the agency’s suite of highly-sophisticated modeling tools using data inputs from comprehensive land use, transportation, and socio-economic databases. As modeling systems become more robust and regional plans become more complex, the demand for reliable data increases exponentially.
Key functions in this role include research data and dataset management, the development of support services for sharing information assets, and the coordination and archival of data and metadata through an agency-wide repository. The success of this evolving position rests in creating a cost-effective, sophisticated research and planning business model to meet the research data management needs of the agency.
Digital Data Analyst Role
As a member of the Applied Research Division, the Digital Data Analyst will coordinate the creation, description, preservation, publication, and delivery of various types of information needed to support agency programs and projects. The Analyst will consult with and provide services to staff to support data management needs, including the development of data management plans. Communicating and liaising with staff, agency partners, and data providers to develop opportunities and services will be a key aspect of this position.
This is a limited term employment opportunity. The position is expected to be funded through December 2015. Limited Term Employees are considered to be “at-will” and receive many of the benefits of Regular employees.
This position is ideal for a data professional with a strong interest in applying their expertise to the compilation and maintenance of information used in a regional planning environment. We anticipate significant career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with project managers throughout the agency to identify current and future data needs to support the development and expansion of comprehensive data collections used in regional planning projects and reports.
- Inventory current data sets used by project managers; identify commonalities in the types, sources, and uses of data; make recommendations and provide input for the design of widely accessible databases that contain current, reliable, and consistent information and support multiple projects throughout the agency.
- Research and recommend best practices for maintaining, archiving, and accessing data sets; collaborate with database designers, programmers, and administrators regarding the development, management, and use of information resources.
- Develop, test, document, and implement sustainable, reliable systems, methodologies, and procedures for collecting, organizing, maintaining, and archiving research metadata and datasets; prepare and maintain procedural and data documentation.
- Engage in user needs assessment and outreach to promote data use and the development of best practices in data management; provide consultation and research support in the discovery and use of statistical and numerical data resources for the agency.
- Consult with project managers and serve on project teams, such as the Data Management Working Team, to provide technical expertise regarding data needs for projects.
- Contribute to the development of innovative solutions designed to provide greater access to data for audiences throughout the region; participate in the development of new technologies, tools, and products.
- Respond to requests and provide assistance to data users, both within and outside the agency, with accessing data sets, understanding and interpreting information, and analysis.
- Foster collaborative working relationships with local jurisdictions, Caltrans, and other public agencies; coordinate with federal, state, and local agencies to jointly develop data collection/transfer procedures.
Experience and Qualifications
Numerous factors contribute to an individual’s ability to be successful in any given role. For this position we are searching for a candidate with an aptitude for analytical thinking, innovation, and problem solving who is detail-oriented, organized, and can be relied upon to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects. Exceptional communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively to build consensus, and the use of sound judgment are important.
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a bachelor’s degree with major course work in library/ information science, information management, computer science, or a related field, and one to three years of progressive career development collecting, organizing, coordinating, cataloging, and archiving data, preferably in a research or regional planning environment. A Masters degree is desirable.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with best practices regarding systems, methodologies, and procedures for collecting, organizing, maintaining, and archiving information.
- Demonstrated experience in the planning, implementation and reporting of information, research, or data management projects or services.
- Demonstrated experience in information management or content management, with knowledge of current technologies and standards such as repositories, encoding standards, and metadata standards such as the Data Documentation Initiative (DDI).
- An understanding of quantitative research methods, including survey methods and output, descriptive statistics, and analysis of microdata.
- Knowledge of data resources and tools; experience compiling data for large, complex databases is highly desirable.
- Experience researching and providing input for the design of databases; knowledge of fundamental design principles for relational database management systems is highly desirable.
- Ability to assist in identifying potential privacy and security issues concerning storage or use of data and make appropriate recommendations.
- Experience participating in the development of information portals or web based applications designed to increase the availability of information to end-users.
- Experience participating in multi-disciplinary project teams and providing expertise regarding the availability and acquisition of data.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to identify user needs, respond to requests for information, and effectively communicate technical information to non-technical users.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively plan and coordinate with others, work on multiple projects, and adjust to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with and share knowledge of new technologies that will contribute to the access, creation, and use of data files.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and foster effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including other agencies.
- Demonstrated computer software proficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel and Access, SharePoint or other collaboration portal systems, SQL Server or other relational database management system, and conducting in-depth research on the Internet; familiarity with software packages/applications that are major consumers of data, such as statistical analysis, modeling, and geographic information systems is highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible offering of health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life needs of employees and their families.
This limited term Digital Data Analyst will be filled at the I, II, or Associate level depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The annual salary ranges are: Analyst I - $44,837 to $71,739 per year; Analyst II - $49,432 to $79,092 per year, and Associate $54,499 to $87,199 per year.
The benefits we offer include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. To support the need to rest and rejuvenate, employees are provided with a bank of paid time off in addition to paid holidays. Contributions to financial security are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program.
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application form. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application but are not a substitute for this document.
The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG website. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications and related materials can be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply Web page for additional information.
This position is Open until Filled. The first review of applications for the Digital Data Analyst position will begin on Friday, January 31, 2014.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or email@example.com.
To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to respond to the Supplemental Questions below. The information can be up to 500 words per question and should be submitted with the Employment Application. This is considered a required component of the application; applications received without a response will be screened out of the selection process.
1. Describe your experience developing and maintaining a data management system. What strategies did you use and why?
2. What methods do you use to ensure that all data in an organization is gathered and archived in a timely manner?
Candidate Selection and Notification
Following the first review date listed above, candidates will receive written confirmation that their application has been received. The hiring manager will begin reviewing and evaluating applications within a few days of the first review date. Based on this evaluation, the best qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. All candidates will receive written notification as to the final outcome of their application.
The SANDAG website contains a wealth of information about our various project and program areas. The Careers section of the site lists all of our current Job Openings as well as information on how to apply for positions and Frequently Asked Questions about our recruitment process.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- SANDAG Job Announcement - Digital Data Analyst [PDF, 650 KB]
- FMLA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 36 KB]
- SANDAG Employment Application [PDF, 1241 KB]
Review the 'How to Apply' page for details on completing and submitting the Application Form electronically.