Comprehensive Land Use and Regional Growth Projects
San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan
The future growth and development of the San Diego region is currently guided by two primary long-range planning documents: the Regional Comprehensive Plan (RCP) adopted in 2004 and the 2050 Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy (RTP/SCS) adopted in 2011.
In May 2012, the SANDAG Board of Directors approved merging the RCP update with the next RTP/SCS. This new plan, San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan, will combine the update of these two major planning efforts giving citizens a single, easily accessible document that includes an overall vision for the San Diego region and an implementation program to make that vision a reality.
Watch Workshop Welcome Video
June 6, 2013, in San Ysidro: View Meeting Summary | View Note-taker’s Notes in English/Vea Apuntes de los que Tomaron Notas en Español | Video
Other Completed Meetings
August 21, 2013, in San Diego: View Note-taker's Notes
August 5, 2013, at Caltrans: View Meeting Summary | View Meeting Presentation | View Transportation Project Evaluation Criteria Matrix
January 10, 2013, at SANDAG: A public scoping meeting was held to accept comments on the scope and content of the Program Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan that SANDAG will prepare in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Notice of Preparation (NOP) for the Program EIR was issued on December 14, 2012, for a 60-day comment period. View NOP | View NOP Response Letters
October 19, 2012: SANDAG kicked off the new regional plan effort with a workshop on October 19, 2012, and with outreach to SANDAG working groups, policy advisory committees, and SANDAG Board to solicit public input on priorities and web-based public participation tools. View the workshop invitation and summary of the approach for organizing the workshop, as well as the summary and note-taker's notes of the workshop.
Over the next two years, SANDAG will work together in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders to develop San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan. Staff has created a detailed work program and schedule to guide the planning effort. The combined plan will continue to focus on the critical link between land use and transportation, and will cover the following additional topics:
• Public Health
• Land Use, Regional Growth, and Urban Form
• Healthy Environment
• Infrastructure/Public Facilities
• Social Equity and Environmental Justice
• Economic Strategies
• Borders (Binational, Tribal, and Interregional)
In accordance with state and federal guidelines, the SANDAG Board is expected to adopt the regional plan in 2015.
A comprehensive and innovative Public Involvement Plan (PIP) supports the development of San Diego Forward: The Regional Plan and includes various public engagement techniques, such as a tribal consultation plan and a process to engage low-income and minority populations through a network of community-based organizations. Additionally, SANDAG encourages the public to comment on the plan as it is developed. Furthermore, the plan will include a series of public workshops, use of social media, visualizations, and other means for involving the public and receiving input. Please direct any questions or comments on the PIP to David Hicks at email@example.com.
Philip Trom, Senior Regional Planner
Phone: (619) 699-7330, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For media inquiries, please contact David Hicks at (619) 699-6939 or email@example.com.
- Board Report – San Diego Forward: Final Work Program and Schedule, February 22, 2013 [PDF, 296 KB]
- Regional Plan Survey - April 2013 [PDF, 709 KB]
- 2050 Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy Commitments Progress Report - May 28, 2013 [PDF, 156 KB]
- Board Report – The Regional Plan: Final Public Involvement Plan, February 22, 2013 [PDF, 227 KB]
- Reginal Plan Workshop Flier - May, June, July 2013 [PDF, 652 KB]
- Board Report - 2050 Regional Plan: Draft Work Program and Schedule, Sept. 28, 2012 [PDF, 416 KB]
- Board Report - Proposed Approach to Update the Regional Comprehensive Plan, May 25, 2012 [PDF, 539 KB]
- Board Report – The Regional Plan: “What Are We Hearing?”, January 11, 2013 [PDF, 630 KB]
- Board Report - 2050 Regional Plan: Draft Public Involvement Plan, Sept. 28, 2012 [PDF, 459 KB]