Analyst I - $41,488 to $69,037 per year;
Analyst II - $45,741 to $76,113 per year
Close Date: Open until Filled
* This is a Limited-Term SANDAG position. Limited-Term Employees receive many of the benefits of a regular SANDAG staff position but are at-will employees.
Details about the SANDAG Employment Application and Supplemental Questions required for this position can be found below.
Regional Tolling Operations Program
The Operations Department supports the SANDAG vision to provide more travel services and options for the region’s residents and to use innovative solutions to better manage the transportation network. In support of this vision, the department is responsible for managing the Regional Tolling Operations Program which includes the existing SR 125 South Bay Expressway and I-15 Express Lanes as well as planning for future tolling facilities in connection with the new East Otay Mesa border crossing and additional express lanes throughout the San Diego region. In addition, the department oversees the region’s intelligent transportation system and demand management programs, including the Integrated Corridor Management System, the Connected Vehicle Program, Motorist Aid Services Program, and the iCommute (Regional Rideshare) Program.
Business Analyst Role
The Business Analyst will perform a variety of duties in support of the Regional Tolling Operations program such as maintaining status information for various contracts; assisting with the preparation of procurement documents; supporting project managers with developing and monitoring the annual program budget; and preparing program reports and performance metrics for the South Bay Expressway, I-15 FasTrak, and other projects. This position will be based at the SANDAG Toll Operations Center in Otay Mesa.
This is a Limited-Term employment opportunity and is expected to be funded through June 30, 2019. Limited-Term employees are considered to be “at-will” and receive many of the benefits of Regular employees.
This position is ideal for an individual who has an interest furthering their expertise in the administration of transportation projects and programs for a public agency. We anticipate significant career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with senior staff. Examples of primary responsibilities may include:
- Liaise with the agency’s Contracts and Procurement department to monitor contract status and expiration dates; participate in the development of contract amendments and task orders; assist with developing and maintaining a procurement plan and schedule for upcoming procurements.
- Provide project management support for various projects and programs; track the progress of deliverables; ensure timely project communication with staff and project partners.
- Assist project managers to prepare scopes of work and technical specifications; assist with the development and monitoring of project plans, schedules, and budgets for various projects and programs.
- Assist with the preparation of the Operations Department annual budget; review expenditures from previous years and support project managers with preparing project cost estimates and determining staff allocations.
- Assist with monitoring the annual program budget; track and reconcile expenditures against budgeted amounts; assist project managers with budget adjustment requests; maintain project and program budget documents and run reports using the agency’s financial system.
- Support performance monitoring of key department programs and projects; research, collect, and analyze program data and ensure accurate data is maintained.
- Organize and summarize program trends and issues; develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases for tracking various program aspects; prepare technical program reports using tables, graphs, and charts to display information.
- Review consultant and vendor invoices for accuracy; research incomplete invoices, invoice inconsistencies, and complex invoicing issues; review for completeness and compliance with established policies, procedures, and executed contracts; assemble and prepare the documentation necessary for internal approval and payment of invoices.
- Interact with project managers, employees, consultants, and vendors to gather and verify information, and to resolve invoice questions and payment discrepancies.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new procedures and process improvements designed to further enhance department practices.
Experience and Qualifications
Numerous factors contribute to an individual’s ability to be successful in any given role. For this position, we are searching for a candidate who has a technical background and an aptitude for analytical thinking and problem solving who is responsible, organized, and demonstrates initiative. Excellent communication skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to use sound judgment are important.
The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a bachelor’s degree with major course work in public administration, business administration, finance, or a related field, and one to two years of recent career experience in project or program administration, finance/accounting, or contracts and procurement.
The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position.
- Experience assisting with the preparation of scopes of work, technical specifications, contract amendments, task orders, project plans, project budgets, and other solicitation documents; ability to monitor contract status and perform related administrative functions.
- Experience providing project management support for various projects and programs; experience participating in the planning and delivery of initiatives and tracking the progress of deliverables, schedules, and budgets.
- Familiarity with the principles and techniques involved in budget preparation and budget management; experience supporting the development, monitoring, and administration of a program budget.
- Ability to research and compile financial and budgetary information; ability to prepare meaningful summary reports from assembled data; ability to analyze data and communicate project and/or program status.
- Experience supporting performance monitoring functions for programs and projects; experience collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and maintaining project and program data.
- Ability to accurately compile and summarize program data; experience maintaining tracking and reporting systems using spreadsheets, databases, and other software; experience preparing technical reports.
- Experience reviewing invoices submitted by vendors and consultants for the reimbursement of expenses including the verification of expense eligibility, accuracy, and completeness of supporting documentation; experience assembling and preparing documentation for approval and payment of invoices.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with frequent interruptions from telephone calls, emails, and employees; ability to adapt to changing processes.
- Effective time management and organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to ensure timely processing; ability to exercise good judgment, confidentiality, and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and foster cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate technical information effectively, both orally and in writing; experience preparing clear and concise reports that present research results.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office applications especially Excel and PowerPoint; experience using financial and budgeting software such as ONESolution and QuickBooks Enterprise Edition is desirable.
- The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
Salary and Benefits
SANDAG rewards the efforts of its employees with a comprehensive compensation package. Competitive salaries are supplemented with a flexible offering of health, financial security, and time-off benefits to meet the work and life needs of employees and their families.
The Limited-Term Business Analyst position will be filled at the I or II level depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The annual salary ranges are: Business Analyst I - $41,488 to $69,037 per year; Business Analyst II - $45,741 to $76,113 per year.
The benefits we offer include traditional health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. To support the need to rest and rejuvenate, employees are provided with a bank of paid time off in addition to paid holidays. And contributions to financial security are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program.
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application form. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application but are not a substitute for this document.
The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG website. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or emailing email@example.com.
Completed applications and related materials can be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
This position is Open until Filled. The first review of applications for the Business Analyst position will begin on Friday, April 14, 2017.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), fax (619) 699-6905, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to respond to the two Supplemental Questions below. The information can be up to 500 words per question and should be submitted with the Employment Application. This is considered a required component of the application; applications received without a response will be screened out of the selection process.
1.Describe why a Business Analyst position in a public agency setting is of interest to you.
2.Describe the techniques you use to maintain high levels of service while responding to multiple, competing priorities.
Candidate Selection and Notification
Following the first review date for applications, candidates will receive written confirmation that their application has been received. The hiring manager will begin reviewing and evaluating applications within a few days of the first review date. Based on this evaluation, the best qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. All candidates will receive written notification as to the final outcome of their application.
The SANDAG website contains a wealth of information about our various project and program areas. The Careers section of the site lists all of our current Job Openings as well as information on how to apply for positions and Frequently Asked Questions about our recruitment program.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- CFRA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 45 KB]
- FMLA Notice to Applicants [PDF, 89 KB]
- SANDAG Employment Application [PDF, 836 KB]
Review the 'How to Apply' page for details on completing and submitting the Application Form electronically.
- SANDAG Position Announcement: Business Analyst [PDF, 197 KB]