SANDAG is recognized throughout the country as a premier regional planning agency. We’re a team of professionals that deliver solutions to some of the region’s most important issues. Our commitment to improving the quality of life for everyone who lives in the San Diego area is at the forefront of everything we do and is a shared goal among our team members.
We know that all employees - no matter what role they play or how long they've been with SANDAG - are essential to our continued success. Dedication. Competence. Innovativeness. Integrity. These are some of the qualities we look for. And in return, we’re committed to providing a nurturing atmosphere where staff can develop to their full potential.
You can find a job anywhere. But fulfilling careers that engage you in serving others are hard to come by. And that's what SANDAG employees excel at - meeting and exceeding the expectations of our Board of Directors and other regional policy-makers, business leaders, community and special interest groups, and the public. If you’re excited by change, motivated by challenges, and eager to satisfy the people you serve, there's a place for you at SANDAG.
Awards and Recognition
SANDAG’s innovative approach to developing and implementing regional solutions has attracted attention and received awards across several industries. We are honored to have received the following awards for our accomplishments and contributions.
- 2012: Building Excellence Award presented to SANDAG Executive Director Gary Gallegos by Twining, Inc. The award recognizes his efforts to implement innovative ideas and create long-term solutions that enhance the quality of life for the people of San Diego County.
- 2012: California Transportation Foundation (CTF) awarded I-15 Express Lanes with Project of the Year award.
- 2012: California Transportation Foundation awarded SR 52 with Conventional Highway Project of the Year award.
- 2012: TransNet Environmental Mitigation Program received an American Planning Association Best Practices award.
- 2012: Riding to 2050: San Diego Regional Bike Plan received an American Planning Association Comprehensive Planning – Large Jurisdiction award.
- 2012: SANDAG received a Public Health Champion Director's Award from the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency for the Healthy Works Program.
- 2011: SANDAG received the Caltrans 2011 Excellence in Transportation Award/Intermodal Transportation for the SPRINTER light rail project.
- 2010: SANDAG received the Client of the Year Award from the San Diego Chapter of the Construction Management Association of America. SANDAG was recognized as an agency that has gone above and beyond to support and take an active part in the CMAA, as well as promoting the role of construction management in its field of work.
- 2010: The SANDAG Regional Vanpool Program received the San Diego Excellence in Energy (SANDEE) Award for its success in eliminating approximately 130 million vehicle miles traveled in the region during 2009. The California Center for Sustainable Energy selected the Regional Vanpool Program to receive the award for Special Achievement in Transportation.
- 2010: Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award sponsored by the National Purchasing Institute and other nationwide organizations, which recognize organizational excellence in procurement.
- 2010: American Planning Association. Jane Clough-Riquelme, Ph.D., Tribal Liaison received the National Planning Achievement Award for Advancing Diversity & Social Change (Paul Davidoff Award). Nominated by the Reservation Transportation Authority (RTA) for her professional efforts in facilitating government-to-government relations between tribal nations and the regional planning agency.
- 2009: National Association of Regional Councils (NARC) Major Metro General Achievement Award: Interstate 15 Express Lanes. The award is given in recognition of excellence in projects that exemplify regional cooperation, innovation, and regional impact.
- 2009: La Prensa Bi-National Endeavor Award for efforts with the Otay 2 Port of Entry and recognizing the need bring in government representatives from both sides of the border to support the effort.
- 2009: American Planning Association, California Chapter. Distinguished Leadership Award for a Professional Planner: Jane Clough-Riquelme, Ph.D.,Tribal Liaison. Nominated by the Reservation Transportation Authority for her professional efforts in facilitating government-to-government relations between tribal nations and the regional planning agency.
- 2009: American Planning Association, San Diego Chapter. Distinguished Contribution/Service Award: Jane Clough-Riquelme, Ph.D., Senior Regional Planner. Nominated by the Reservation Transportation Authority for her service as a planning profession providing key technical assistance to tribal nations in the region in their efforts to become involved in regional transportation planning.
- 2009: TRANNY Awards: I-15 Express Lane, and Smart Corner.
- 2009: American Public Works Association (APWA), San Diego & Imperial County Chapter: Project of the Year, Bayshore Bikeway Western Salt Project.
Past Awards - 2006, 2007, 2008