Connect to 511 for transit,
traffic, and commute information
After seven months in operation, 511 and www.511sd.com average 10,000-plus phone calls and 50,000-plus page views each week!
511 is a free phone and Web service that consolidates the region's transportation information into a one-stop resource. Merging transportation and technology, 511 puts a wealth of free, travel-related information at your fingertips - 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Access the service by dialing 511 from any phone or on the Web at www.511sd.com.
View quick tips for quick and easy access to the 511 phone system.
Through 511, you can get:
- Traffic information – Access real-time incident reports from Caltrans and pinpoint congestion delays that could affect your commute. With 511, users can get drive times for all major highways in the San Diego region.
- Highway camera views – With 511, users can view traffic conditions at over 70 different locations on San Diego highways.
- Regional transit route and fare information – With 511, transit riders can conveniently connect with the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and North County Transit District (NCTD) for a trip plan that best meets their needs, as well as get schedule and fare information.
- Real time bus arrival information – Transit riders can obtain current arrival times for bus services in the San Diego region at numerous different stop locations.
- Roadside Assistance – 511 provides a direct connection to the San Diego County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies (SAFE) call center for vehicle roadside assistance.
- FasTrak® toll information – visit www.511sd.com to register for the FasTrak program; users eventually will be able to tap into up-to-the minute toll information for the I-15 Managed Lanes, and compare driving times to the regular highway lanes.
- Carpool and vanpool information – 511 offers instant access to the SANDAG RideLink program for valuable rideshare information. Joining a carpool or vanpool has never been easier.
- Bicycle information - 511 users can get information on bike maps, bike lockers, taking bicycles onto public transit, and other tips on navigating the more than 1,000 miles of bikeways in the region.
- Airline arrival and departure information - Get the latest arrival and departure information to take the guess work out of air travel.
- Border Crossing Times - Get connected to information on border crossing times at the San Ysidro and Otay Mesa ports of entry.
- CommunityView TV - This TV broadcast will provide freeway congestion, construction, and incident information along with streaming videos and snapshots from Caltrans cameras. The 511 broadcast will be available in fall 2007.
The state-of-the-art San Diego 511 service stems from a collaborative partnership among SANDAG, Caltrans, the Federal Highway Administration, MTS, the NCTD, the California Highway Patrol, and San Diego SAFE.
Thomas Bruccoleri, Senior Regional Planner
email@example.com, (619) 699-7381